Monday 18 June 2012

Dragon Breath

That's the last big training ride before the Maratona done. Having raced the Banbury Star Road Race the weekend before I didn't feel that excited about riding the Dragon given the route last year (which included two climbs of the same side of the Bwlch) but I soon got into the party mood. A fast group was forming soon after the start so I helped tow it along with one other rider (who has recently finished 27th on the Fred Whitton Challenge). I have received a telling-off from Dr. Palmer in the past about doing this but I was still in race mode and the legs were willing. After 2 hours we hit the Black Mountain and the legs still felt good but the climb to Roman Camp was starting to tell me that I had started too hard and I needed to back off at which point I let the group go to concentrate on riding at my own pace. Due to admin problems I had to stop longer than expected at the second feed stop. Underway again I was still feeling flat but the gradients of the Devil's Elbow didn't seem to be as extreme as the signs suggested (for me at least) and my legs started to recover once the Gran Fondo route rejoined the Medio route for the final three climbs of the day - Glynneath, Rhigos and the Bwlch (from Treochy).
The Rhigos and the Bwlch were the main reasons behind my suggestion that we make this the final warm-up for the Maratona so that the guys could experience the type of gradient and length of climbing that we will be seeing in the Dolomites so that they feel more confident their climbing abilities. This nearly backfired as some of the team were disappointed in their performance but this has to be put in context - for us the Dragon Ride was a training ride, for the majority of the other riders the Dragon was their season's goal for which they had tapered for and arrived fresh, our goal is the Maratona and to have ridden the Dragon on fatigued legs is impressive achievement.
The goal now is to recover whilst maintaining fitness which done by reducing training volume but maintaining (or increasing!) training intensity. This is also the time to sort out any remaining bike fit or clothing issues (I've ordered new shorts as the previous pair seems to have a personal vendetta against my posterior).
On a personal note I would like to say that I have been impressed with the determination shown, and progress that has been made, by every team member since last last September and I'm proud to be associated with Team Lowroaders knowing that everyone will give their best on the 1st of July - Nick wouldn't expect anything less.

No comments: